Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Ridiculously Good for you Carrot Cake Muffins

So, a lot of you know I can't have sugar, flour, carbs, etc. 
A recipe came in my book from the doctor for "carrot cake muffins".
I changed the recipe to make these angel food like carrot cake treats.

2 egg whites
3 oz cooked carrots pureed 
1 packet Splenda or Stevia
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or combo of nutmeg and ginger)

1. Peel a bag of carrots or use a whole bag of baby carrots. Put them in a microwavable safe bowl (preferably with a lid) and cover with water. Cook in the microwave for seven minutes. 
2. While that's cooking whisk together egg whites, sweetener, and vanilla. Whisk on high until it turns the consistency of fluff.
3. Add spices and whisk on high again until it is a light brown color.

4. Put the cooked carrots in the blender and set on puree. Get them as blended as possible. It's ok if your blender doesn't get it the consistency of baby food (mine never does), you'll just have carrot chunks in the muffin. YUM

5. Add in the measure out 3 oz of carrot or about 1/4 c. Blend on high until mixed well.
6. Spoon mixture into muffin pan, sprayed with a little bit of Pam. This amount of mixture should fill to over-flowing 3 of the muffin areas. Because it is whipped like merengue it will sit straight up like puffy clouds.
7. You can cook just three or repeat the recipe multiple times for as many as you want. I usually do the recipe four times so I fill a whole pan.
8. Put the pan in your preheated oven at 350. Cook for 25 minutes. At this point turn on your broiler and leave in there for 1-3 minutes. Check every minute because the broiler will completely char them if you let it. Brown to your liking, which will give them a slightly roasted marshmellow flavor on the top.
9. You can let them cool in the pan before you take them out. Gently use a fork to unstick and free from pan.

A serving is 3 whole muffins!!!!!! Top with a dollop of whip cream, Walden Farms Calorie Free Carmel Sauce, or maybe some cream cheese frosting. Eating them plain is also super delish!

Nutritional Info
*you should really just eat all three, that's one oz protein and one serving of vegetables!
Calories 50
Carbs 3
Fat 0
Protein 9

If you decide to share and only eat one... (dumb)
Calories 17
Carbs 1
Fat 0
Protein 3

Let me know if you try them and if you like them!

3 comments:

  1. So...I actually tried to make these! They looked way yummy. But maybe I did it wrong...Mine were a little collapsed and kinda tasted like egg :-/ Did I not whip the egg whites long enough..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry missbecca, I really whip the egg whites and stevia together on high speed until it is very fluffy. But, maybe I mislead people, since there is no gluten in the batter (keeping the calories way down) its mostly just an egg flan type muffin. It won't stay puffy after long. Since I was on a VERY VERY strict diet it suited me just I fine. I'm going to try making some changes to my recipe to add maybe some oats and applesauce to thicken up the batter and perhaps take away some of that egg taste. Thanks so much for Ttying the recipe. Sorry it wasn't what you expected. Try whipping for at least three minutes and or wait for my updated a little more calorie dense recipe.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I definitely didn't whip the egg whites that long! Maybe I will try again and experiment. Your pictures make it look way yum! :)

    ReplyDelete