Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I'm Mexican and these Whole Wheat Tortillas are AWESOME!

I was looking up how to make tortillas without shortening and DEFINITELY without lard. In my family saying that we're going to make tortillas healthy means using Crisco. mmm not really what I had in mind. Have you seen Crisco? It's super slimy, not appetizing. 
I did a search for someone who changed out shortening and lard with Olive Oil! Yay!

I tried it tonight! Holy moly! 

So please go to this mom's website and see her original recipe!


Ingredients:

3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Unbleached Regular Flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups warm water, plus about 2 TBS
3/4 tsp baking powder (I just realized I left that out so if you don't have any don't worry)
2 TBS Olive Oil

1. Put in all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a fork.
2. Microwave 1 1/2 cups water for about 40 seconds and pour in.
3. Mix with your hands. You might need a little more water so add tbs as needed to get all the flour together in one dough. 
4. Divide dough in half then in half again so you have 4 equal balls. 
5. Divide each of those balls in half and then half again. You should have 16 small balls. (This is important for smaller sized tortillas and if you want to follow my calorie information!)
6. Flour a rolling board and rolling pin and roll out each ball and or pull them so that they are very thin.

7. Throw them on a griddle or just a regular non stick pan (thats what I have). Or if you are my grandma throw them right on your stove if you have a flat surface stove. 

I used the high setting, but I was moving fast. You might want to put it on medium heat so that you don't  get behind while you are rolling and cooking. Brown on one side and flip. It doesn't take much time to cook all the way through if you've rolled it really thin. 
My stack of awesome HEALTHY tortillas!

Nutrition Facts
Calories 125
Carbs 22g
Fat 2g!
Protein 4g
Fiber 3g

2 comments:

  1. Those look incredible. If only I had a rolling pin and a working microwave....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make them for you when you get here

    ReplyDelete