Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

I was browsing Pinterest as I am want to do, and I found myself looking at Lauren Conrad's blog about making skinny jeans fit. Well that was a cool article but I got sidetracked by an article about pizza crust made out of cauliflower! Well, heck yes! I am addicted to cauliflower right now, and I looked into it. I could make it and actually be able to eat it with a couple of changes.

Here is the original recipe:  http://www.laurenconrad.com/post/recipe-box-doughless-pizza

Here's what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
  • ½ teaspoon garlic salt
  • PAM olive oil flavor
  • Ground Turkey cooked with italian spices 
  • 1 Tomato
  • Some homemade Pesto sauce I made by just pureeing basil and cilantro 
Instructions

To "rice" the Cauliflower: Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. I put it on pulse mode and then just touched the chop button until it was grainy. 
Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.

To Make the Pizza Crust:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with PAM.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower and 2 egg whites (two egg whites = 1 oz protein). Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Drop onto the cookie sheet and spread out into a round shape.
  3. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven.
  5. To the crust, add pesto, tomato slices and 2 oz ground turkey. 
  6. Place back in the oven with the broiler turned on. Only leave it in for about 3 minutes. 
You can't pick this up like pizza crust, I think if you use the original recipe with a bunch of cheese it holds everything together and makes it more like crust. This is SUPER delicious though! You can use a fork and knife and it tastes like pizza! Mmm


*Note: Toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment